Friday, December 5, 2008

Sick as a Dawg

Fever, sore throat, fatigue, aches, runny nose, all since Monday, I've been sick as a Dawg. Amazingly, in spite of all these setbacks, I was able to work on the painting! Not as vigorously as I would have liked, but I did make progress.

Working on the fur was such fun. Sweeping brushstrokes with a round brush, coupled with short quick strokes of a old beat up bright brush, her coat took on shape and dimension. When painting fur it is imperative to follow the whorls, and how the hair lays on the body of the animal. If I didn't like the colour of the hair, thin washes of Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Sienna and Payne's Gray mixed in with the Matte Medium, adjusted it. I still have some issues about how light the hair should be, as acrylics dry darker, and values can be tough to gauge sometimes.

Since the last post, her eyes and face have really taken on her personality. I am really pleased with her cute little mug!!

Still don't like that front leg on the right hand side...gonna cover it with grass!! I have decided to leave my issues with the values of the fur, and wait until I have resolved the grasses. Their relationship with the values of the Dawg will help me decide if I need to lighten the fur more or not. Not the best photograph of the painting. The lighting is bad. To see the image up close, just click on the image and it will open in a new window and much larger.

Oh well...where's my kleenex?

No comments: